7 of the 70s: 9/13/12...






Good afternoon, it's time for some 70s goodness. This week it's seven nuggets from 1977, the year Luciano Pavarotti made his American television debut on PBS of La Boheme. (Also included are highlighted links to buy the tunes on Amazon).

Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr. - "You Don't Have To Be A Star (To Be In My Show)"
from the album I Hope We Get To Love In Time (1976)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1


Husband and wife split off from the 5th Dimension to provide us with a sweet little "you're perfect the way you are" ditty that works so much better than the 500th playing of "Just The Way You Are"...


(Click below to read the rest of the post)


L.T.D. - "(Every Time I Turn Around) Back In Love Again"
from the album Something To Love (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #4


Jeffrey Osborne at his funkiest, with the the rivals to the Commodores' crown. Another swirling, joyful love song, but this time he's a revolving door.


Bay City Rollers - "You Made Me Believe In Magic"
from the album It's A Game (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #10


Yes I watched their show on Saturday morning. I admit it. And I loved this disco epic better than "Saturday Night".


Firefall - "Just Remember I Love You"
from the album Luna Sea (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #11


Former "Flying Burrito Brother" Rick Roberts with a primordial "It Gets Better" message that is a personal soft-rock fave of mine.


Barry Manilow - "Daybreak"
from the albums This One's For You (1976) and Barry Manilow Live (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #23 (live version)


 I can't hear this without thinking about Serial Mom. Awesomeness.


Rod Stewart - "The Killing Of Georgie (Part I And II)"
from the album A Night On The Town (1976)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #30


Rod's heartfelt and chilling tribute to a fallen gay friend in this epic precursor of Bronski Beat done to the shuffle of "Walk on the Wild Side".


The Alan Parsons Project - "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You"
from the album I Robot (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #36


Isaac Asimov gets funky by the Pink Floyd-producing studio genius.


That wraps it for this week's trip to the 70's, check back later today for today's 80s flashback. Cheers!

Comments

John said…
I love a lot of Barry's older stuff, but "Daybreak" is not among those. Having said that, I remember liking the live version better, which might explain the chart position for that one. You got the Bay City Rollers right with "disco epic"...another all-time favorite.
twostepcub said…
I had to include Daybreak because I just rewatched Serial Mom. and yes, YMMBIM was a car ride to the shore in the backseat favorite . But then, so was "Bad Girls". My parents should have known then.