8 of the 80's: July 19, 2012...


Hey guys, thanks again for droppin' by, and time for another new weekly gig: 8 of the 80's...just like the 60s and 70s posts, but will added shoulder pads. This time out: eight songs from 1980...


The S.O.S. Band - "Take Your Time (Do It Right)"
from the album S.O.S. (1980)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #3


Flashback to the Himalaya ride on the Wildwood boardwalk. Yell if you wanna go in reverse!


(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Cliff Richard - "We Don't Talk Anymore"
from the album Rock 'n' Roll Juvenile (1979)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #7


Britain's Elvis matures on this deceptively sunny love gone wrong song.


Jermaine Jackson - "Let's Get Serious"
from the album Let's Get Serious (1980)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #9


The one time Jermaine came closest to eclipsing his brother. Of course with Stevie Wonder as a ringer doesn't hurt either...


Electric Light Orchestra - "I'm Alive"
from the album Xanadu (Original Soundtrack) (1980)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #16


Forget Grease. Forget Two of a Kind. Give me my Olivia with Muses and ELO, please.


Toto - "99"
from the album Hydra (1979)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #26


Before "Rosanna", when Toto were in their funky Steely Dan-lite phase...


The Babys - "Back On My Feet Again"
from the album Union Jacks (1980)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #33


Before "Missing You", and way before Bad English, John Waite as the frontman for the British workingman band.


Donna Summer - "Walk Away"
from the album Bad Girls (1979)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #36


Donna's hidden gem on the Bad Girls album. I so twirled to this when I was a kid.


Peter Gabriel - "Games Without Frontiers"
from the album Peter Gabriel 3 (Melt) (1980)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #48


Of course, when I heard this, I didn't hear "Jeux Sans Frontieres", I heard "She's Sewed Up The Air"...





Comments

John said…
You're 8 for 8 on this one. I have a similar Himalaya memory, but mine is with the Jacksons' "Torture."
twostepcub said…
Thanks...I actually DVR'd Xanadu to rewatch when I get the chance. As for Himalaya, there's so many songs from that ride I could do a mixtape (Heart of Glass, So Many Men, Funkytown)...