7 of the 70s: July 12, 2012...


Hey guys, thanks for droppin' in, and now for another feature - seven songs culled from a particular year in the 70s, with no rhyme or reason, mostly songs that you don't hear anymore (or never heard in the first place). Songs that caught my fancy this week. This time out, 7 tunes from 1978, when disco was at its peak...

Andy Gibb - "An Everlasting Love"
from the album Shadow Dancing (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #5


The followup to three #1 hits for the younger Gibb brother, "An Everlasting Love" is a smooth, sweet song that doesn't get the love that "Shadow Dancing" does. Gorgeous vocal play between Andy and his brothers on this track.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Al Stewart - "Time Passages"
from the album Time Passages (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #7


Scotsman Al Stewart brought the sax with this breezy album-rock number that topped the Adult-Contemporary (soft-rock) charts for ten weeks. It's like prog-rock for the older set.


Peter Brown with Betty Wright - "Dance With Me"
from the album A Fantasy Love Affair (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #8


"Dance With Me" is one of the best AA-team disco hits that ever was. Proves again you don't have to have a maniacally fast beat to be danceable.


David Gates - "Goodbye Girl"
from the album Goodbye Girl (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #15


Former Bread lead Gates went solo on the classic song from the Richard Dryfuss/Marsha Mason movie. A classic song that another fave of mine, Rumer, does superbly...


Odyssey - "Native New Yorker"
from the album Odyssey (1977)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #21


Of course, in the Tri-state area, this was big at the time, but this musical ad for the Big Apple still knows "you're no tramp, but you're no lady"...


Steely Dan - "FM (No Static At All)"
from the album FM (Original Soundtrack) (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #22


One of the first compact discs I ever bought was Steely Dan's Decade of, and this was the leadoff track, expanding the power of the digital medium and making walking the streets of Chicago seem cooler.


Donny & Marie Osmond - "On The Shelf"
from the album Goin' Coconuts (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #38


This was the first album I ever had (as a Christmas present, no less). Don't judge. I still can listen to this damn song over and over and over. I even rationalized that it marked a more "adult" Donny & Marie. I'm so funny that way.

Well that's it the inaugural "7 of the 70s". Hope you liked it, and see you soon. Tomorrow, I'll have my weekly chart of my top-100 tunes for the week, with links to over 100 artists' websites, videos, and more. Take care!

Comments

Ben said…
I love this new feature. Steely Dan is one of my all time favorite bands so thanks for showcasing this great song. I have never heard this Donny and Marie song (I did watch theyre show though) and I LIKE it. So frothy!
twostepcub said…
Thanks, Ben! Yeah Steely Dan rules, I get that from my dad (who played them all the time). Yeah the Donny and Marie song is from their movie Goin Coconuts. Really cheesy. Makes the Brady Bunch Hawaii episode look like Citizen Kane.