Songoftheday - I'm a lucky guy I got her by my side...



Donnie Iris - "My Girl"
from the album King Cool (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #25 (two weeks)
weeks in the top-40: 6

Today's Song of the Day is by one of the best power-pop artists, Donnie Iris, from western Pennsylvania. Iris was part the the 70's group Jaggerz, and wrote their one big hit, "The Rapper" in 1970. He would later join a later incarnation of "Play That Funky Music" band Wild Cherry, before heading out solo in the early eighties. His first solo record, Back In The Streets, has one of my top-10 favorite pop songs of all time, "Ah Leah!". Recorded with backing band the Cruisers, sophomore effort King Cool produced two top-40 hits, "Love Is Like A Rock" and this one, "My Girl", a totally fun harmony-filled slice of heaven.


While "My Girl" would be Iris' last top-40 hits, he continued to release quality music throughout the eighties, and remains a cult favorite in Ohio and Pennsy today.
  
Up Tomorrow: Ms. Arquette's theme song.




Comments