Last dance...


Disco royalty Donna Summer passed away after struggling with cancer at the age of 63. Summer's legacy in pop music is undeniable - she truly was the biggest woman pop singer out there in the 70s. Super huge. Like three double-albums in a row hitting #1 huge. I remember being in the back of my parents station wagon heading to Seaside Park (before there was Jersey Shore) enraptured by her "Bad Girls", mimicking the "Toot Toot, Ahhh Beep Beep" tagline. How "Hot Stuff" would bring rock onto the dance floor and come harder than most the pseudo-rock that was out there.

Summer's career suffered greatly when the disco backlash arose in the early 80's. And to top that, a scandal accusing her of saying AIDS was the punishment of gay people alienated more most faithful remaining audience. Even after denials and apologies, unfortunately while a detente between Summer and the LGBT community was reached, it never went back to the original fervor she caused.

In 1989 Donna hooked up with British hit-factory producers Stock, Aitken, and Waterman, and put out my consistently favorite album of hers, Another Place and Time. I would play this CD nonstop on my Discman, and swearing the Rick Astley was just Donna's voice slowed down (try it, it works).

Donna had a powerful, soulful, yet vulnerable voice that really will be missed. I only hope the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame takes their heads out of their asses and induct her already.

Some of my favorite Summer songs...

Love's About To Change My Heart (my all-time favorite)


On The Radio



Love Is In Control (written and produced by Quincy Jones)


Bad Girls...


and This Time I Know It's For Real...


One of a kind. She will truly be missed.

Comments