How Glee Became Unbearable in 10 Uneasy Steps: An Epilogue....


First, I want to really thank everyone who has taken the time to come to my little corner of the web and read my little missives about a show I'm apparently disproportionately passionate about, and especially the kick-ass awesome pirates in the Glee Forum and Tumblr (which I'm now trying to figure out, I feel like an old man, I'm on as "twostepcub" there but I'm still trying to learn posting, following, and all). I really had no idea whatsoever who would be reading these things, it was more of a release for me, and it's really cool that a whole bunch of people could identify with it. And thank you to the guys and girls in the Kurtofsky "Pirate" forum, with whom I've been able to live out these past three seasons (more vocally lately) there. They are the most positive people considering what's been thrown at them form the show and other shippers....And everyone who's shared these on Tumblr, thank you so much for the love. It really means a lot.

I also want to thank the great fanfiction writers that have kept me going in the alt-universe of what could be. Ibshafer, Lucytoo, Pulpobsessed, Rubyliss and everyone else that spends a lot of time and brainwork coming up with these amazing stories have really helped me not only deal with Glee itself, but also issues that sometimes I (as well as a lot of others) struggle with personally. You guys really should be writing the next season. Really.

Some (but by no means all) of my favorite stories:


The Worst That Could Happen by Lucytoo
Paragraph 175 by rubyliss
Someone Like You by Ibshafer
Dependable.Reliable. ,
Velcro , and
The Man I Used To Know (in progress) all by pulpobsessed

and there's more of that here...

I know there's a ton more with other characters and different settings, and it's amazing how many good writers there are out there.

And I truly and honestly want to thank Ryan, Ian, and Brad for giving us these characters in the first place. For all the bitching I do, Dave, Kurt, Santana, Brittany, et al wouldn't live in our minds without their first origination on this show. I guess it's a sign when a whole fanbase gets so involved with something that there is such a subculture of critique, cause the other option is apathy, and lord knows that's worse.

But back to bitching....

Well "Graduation" time is almost upon Glee-niverse, and unfortunately it sees their ratings about half of what they were at their late first-season/early second-season peak, and being moved to Thursday nights after the results show of the Spears/Lovato "rehab" trainwreck version of X Factor. It looks like no visible steps are being taken so far to curtail some of the steps I've outlined before, especially as Murphy announced a second Britney "tribute" episode as the second show of the new season. Really. Like her varied body of work needs a second volume.Somebody needs a UN intervention here.

Also, before we really even know who is truly staying next year (besides the preordained triumvirate of Rachel/Funn/Kurt), two stunt casts of Sarah Jessica Hors...I mean Parker and Kate "who can I sleep with next" Hudson are the big touts of next year. Along with how are they going to fill the missing places (if they do) in New Directions (maybe from the nameless/faceless members of the Troubletones?). the amount of storylines that will be juggled from all this kind of scare me.

And I'm also concerned that RIB are too scared to even consider breaking Finchel or Klaine up, which pretty much makes for a bland lil' ol soap opera (not that they have to, but you're got such "porcelain-like" relationships (to use the coined term) that they're so pristine and fragile as to be really going nowhere.

And finally, as the Graduation ends, it's truly sad that the thought of putting at least a real tenable closure on Karofsky's story (since it's really far-fetched to think they're bringing him in Season 4, and besides Max has hopefully found a weekly home on Last Resort) was been squandered. A lot of young people in the same shoes look to that character for insight, and "Dave" truly will be missed. But as I said, I truly hope these kids can seek out the alt-U worlds Dave has continued on in. I've made passing comments about Dave growing up and becoming the "Max" character on Happy Endings (though hopefully not so much of a slacker, but at least the sport-loving fun guy he is), so at least I can dream on there....

Again, I am greatly appreciative of the love of my lil' notes have been. I hope you will stick around my little corner of the internets from time to time, I post stuff about music, the world, politics, TV, and of course a bit of Glee (I'm a masochist, I guess). I'm also on da Twitter at @twostepcub where a lot of the pirates are, and I'm trying my bestest to learn Tumblr, since it seems really cool and noninvasive like the borg that is Facebook, but of course I'm over there as well. Just shoot me a note before so I would know who you are.

Well that wraps it up for now. As the pirate ship sails into to horizon, a last Yo-ho. Before Glee, I had no idea what "shippers" meant, that people actively followed relationship/friendship pairings like this, and had formed a fan community behind any sort of television show or movie. I've been amazed by all this. And some of it has leaked through (apparently whomever wrote Tina's story in "Props" read some forums, that's for sure), and maybe, just maybe, there's some hope on Glee next September.

(bell rings)

Glee
 






Comments