SOTD - I get the feeling that I'm in way over my head....



Greg Guidry - "Goin' Down"
from the album Over The Line (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #17 (three weeks)

Today's Song of the Day is by singer-songwriter Greg Guidry. Guidry, from St. Louis Missouri, has written songs for rock and country acts like the Climax Blues Band and Reba McEntire, and he also toured and sang backup with the Allman Brothers Band. In 1982 he scored his only top-40 hit with "Goin' Down", which was a slick slice of Michael McDonald-style soft rock that fit in with that sounds of the time. His whole Over The Line album is pretty good, and it's surprising that it's only available as an import right now (I had to import a copy from Japan). Unfortunately, though Guidry had one more minor pop hit with his sister Sandy ("Into My Love"), his career stalled at "one-hit wonder" status.

Sadly, Guidry died in 2003 in a garage fire ruled a suicide.

Tomorrow: Two superstar singers in black and white.

Comments

John said…
Your last few SOTDs have been great...good songs that weren't huge hits, but are still classics. Thanks for sharing.
twostepcub said…
Thanks....1982 was a big year for me in music so I get all sorts of nostalgic. Especially the transition time between yacht-rock and new-wave.