Last Night's Voice: Erin=Sanjaya...


She's even got the hair.

It's pretty evident that Cee-Lo kept her around because of the history and/or prospect of boning her.

At least he knows he has a ringer in Jamal, who clearly won the night. There was not one thing wrong with that performance. zilch.

Juliet Simms impressed me more than she's ever done (I guess like Blake), and Kudos for taking a song like that and not genderchanging. I subconsciously do feel the rocker thing a little wee bit forced, but she did cover that with chops

Xtina was a bit grumpy - lack of food perhaps? (zing). She may be a little more focused on critiquing (comparatively) but her takedown of Tony Lucca was a bit bitter. I mean, if you're going to razz him, razz him for his overemoting. His mouth at times looked like a dogs with its head out the window of a moving car.

Katrina Parker tried. I loved her last time out, but she was a bit out of element on this tune. They only have a couple chances to win over people, why keep pushing them into weird choices? I did agree that the dark nature of "Tonight Tonight" didn't fit her able but too clean voice.

Cheesa is a mess. She annoys me. But she did adequate sing "Don't Leave Me This Way" as well as any cruise ship disco singer can. But the made-at-Walmart clothing/makeup scheme was really wacky, like someone rolled her face in glitter.

Kim Yarborough: professional, but as was said too-safe of a choice. It's way too early to separate "Rolling In The Deep" from Adele unless you're gonna go a completely different direction with it.

James Massone: No. Just No. No to the weird headband thing (hence all the Ally Sheedy references). No to the whining being pawned off as soul. No to his "I can't believe I'm getting laid" expression he constantly has.

Matthai: I blame Lana Del Ray and Norah Jones for all this. There are too many weirdly affected accented singers this year, and singing precociously only works if you're Zooey Deschanel.

Pip: Can't separate the name from picturing the real-life embodiment of the South Park character. He tried. Man, he tried. Adam really should've picked a less rocking song for him. He will never pull it off.I admit I like his voice though, and hope he stays to make a better choice.

Karla Davis: "Airplanes"? More like "Train Wreck". Taking a rap song and thinking that embellishing the ever repetitive chorus makes a good live choice is mind-addled. I think she was whispering the whole time in case she forgot the words.

Tony Vincent: OK I get it. He's straight. Straight straight straight straight straight broadway queen. Lord. But whoever's idea it was to make him sing that undramatic song off a set from "1984" with the backup dancers from Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" video needs to go to the Ministry of Love's Room 101.




Comments