The Single Life....November 12, 2006....


It's that time again, for the odds and sods I've picked on along the way....you can click on the highlighted name of the artist to bring up their webpage (rightclick to bring up in a new window). Cheers!

The Bird And The Bee - "F*cking Boyfriend [Ralphi Rosario Mixshow]" Boy was I surprised about this one. I was so expecting a wailing enormous black diva wailing a song with a title like this, one geared for the disco boys. Rather, this is a rework of a track by a group very much like Everything But The Girl or Esthero. Very cool even without the cursing (I'll have to go back to buy the original) and get my groove on. Grade: A-

Cerrone - "Supernature 2006 [Joachim Garraud Mix]" A classic proto-electro track by French disco producer Cerrone, with added thump and claps. You can't mess this song up too much, though be careful, I downloaded the "Danny Tenaglia mix" on ITunes to find out it was the Erasure version of the song instead. Wankers! Grade: A-

Goo Goo Dolls - "Let Love In" I guess the Dolls have relegated themselves to wuss-rock forever. Though it isn't a bad song, don't be expecting any taste of alternative in this rock. Good for soccer moms and revivals. Grade C+

Smash Mouth - "So Insane" This sounds better on the second listen than the first. That's good, and it is much better than their clowny "Story Of My Life". Grade: B

Nick Lachey - "I Can't Hate You Anymore" OK, Goo Goo Dolls, I'm sorry. You were just out-wussed. As much as I like Nick, and in all sorts of ways do I like him, and this song is good in the boyband genre kinda way, I'd hate to think he's kind of pigeonholing himself as the "victim" in all his songs. Perfect for the dumped and about to stalk. Grade: B-

Lady Sovereign
- "Love Me Or Hate Me" I tried to hate this, a jokey Eminem protege white-English-girl rapper. But I couldn't. Its electrobeat (am I seeing a pattern in these songs) sell the novelty-type raps. Grade: B-

Bowling For Soup - "High School Never Ends" On the other hand, I tried to love this, but BFS is getting a little too cutesy and product-like on this one. Don't become a cariacture of yourselves. Grade: C+

Sister Hazel - "Mandolin Moon" Sister Hazel, like Collective Soul, got unfair lost in the shuffle of alt-rock bands that sprouted like weeds in the 90s. Still chugging along, this track is easygoing alt-pop goodness, good for the fans of the poppy side of Blues Traveler or those waiting for the next Hootie album. Grade: B

Paolo Nutini
- "New Shoes" A native Scot of Italian heritage, Paolo delivered a cool bouncy track in the Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson funky-white-boy vein. Deserves attention. Grade: B+

Robbie Williams
- "Kiss Me" A really shockingly good remake of collaborator Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy's 80's trite-disco hit. Very good production on this, with machine-gun synths and swirling backvocals. Grade: A-

Povertyneck Hillbillies
- "Mr. Right Now" In the alt-country vein like a funnier Pat Green or Jack Ingram, the Hillbillies channel their best Randy-Newman-does-Blackhawk impression. Perfect country bar jukebox song. Grade: A-

Blue October
- "Into The Ocean" Kinda has that Peter Gabriel without the voice sound to it. A little much in the spoken-verse thing, but pleasant in its own way. Grade: C+

Justin Timberlake f/T.I.
- "My Love" I like this oodles more than "Sexyback". As opposed to that song with it's obvious product-ness, "My Love" is more of a real love song channeled through a neo-electro-soul backdrop. Grade: B

Daniel Powter
- "Love You Lately" Finally a followup to the earworm "Bad Day". Real good for the James Blunt set. Grade: B

Lily Allen
- "Smile" Breezy English girl-pop for those who like Corinne Bailey Rae and KT Tunstall and such. Grade: B

Madonna
- "Jump [Extended Mix]" The most faithful though short mix of the song. The other mixes ITunes are offering are a little too-intentionally outthere. Grade: B+

Paris Hilton - "Nothing In This World [Dave Aude Edit]" Here she goes again, this time nicking an 80's riff from a song I can't remember offhand. Though it sounds good, I'd probably sound good if I had paid for the pro-tools pitch adjustment. Grade: C+

And since he's eye candy, here's Nick Lachey with "I Can't Hate You Anymore"..



and here's the Povertybeck Hillbillies with "Mr. Right Now", they can ALL be Mr. right Now for me...

Comments