The end of an era....


Oh my god. After 45 years of business, Tower Records is being liquidated. In financial trouble for quite a while, the company that bought them in bankruptcy auction has announced that they're gonna start out-of-business sales tomorrow. In the age of "big box stores" like Best Buy, Circuit City and discount cutthroats like Walmart and Target, Tower was the biggest and the best of the remaining "content-only" music/video chains left. As my ex Sam can tell ya, I've spent many a day combing through their bins to find some obscure CD or import single. I used to call the store on 4th and Broadway in New York "church". Like "Sam, I'll be back I need to go to church". It seemed to be the last bastion of balance between a big store and the mom-and-pop stores. Such a shame. Hopefully there'll be a way to get back catalog stuff liek you can at this store. I don't picture Best Buy carrying every one of James Browns CDs .

Comments