Single Life...June 17, 2006

Well, here's the second week of me blogging over the singles I've downloaded or bought this past week. I-Tunes is great for the rock stuff, and for Dance Music I can't recommend PerfectBeat highly enough. Definitely worth checking out.

Five For Fighting - "The Riddle" Well it took long enough for I-Tunes to put this out. Though when I heard it at first, I couldn't tell between this and their previous hit "100 Years". However, the song does hold up to repeated listenings as an inspirational rock song that doesn't plain-out suck. Doesn't disappoint anybody who likes their (actually HIS) previous work, as well as the other Ben Folds/James Blunt/John Mayer/etc etc. crowd.

Snow Patrol - "Chasing Cars" I bought this even knowing I'd be getting the album when it came out eventually. That's how much faith I have in this new English band. Great shoegazing rock from the Coldplay/Keane camp.

Augustana - "Boston" Man this week is all about the piano rock, isn't it? This song's more is the thoughtful heartbreak variety. Not bad. Not distinctive but not bad. If you like the above groups, give it a try.

Staind - "Everything Changes" I think Staind have taken over for Creed and Nickelback in the "band critics love to hate" category. I'm not as jaded as that, though this song isn't exactly a breath of fresh air, it delivers for the audience it's going for (which I think are particularly 15 -year-olds). It sounds almost like a 1990's retro power-ballad, like a Bad English song that wasn't released.

Dolce - "I Will" I got the John Rizzo Club Version on I-Tunes. Pretty good song, not a floor-filling anthem, but enjoyable inspirational vocals from Dolce and bouncy thumping all about.

Christina Aguilera
- "Ain't No Other Man" Single of the week. No questions asked. The original version has a great summer funky vibe (courtesy of the great sample, I'm trying to figure out what it is). You know you've got something when it sounds unlike anything else out on pop radio in a good way (for in a bad way, reference "Dirrty"). The "FND Discofied Edit" puts a spacey groove over the beat, and forgoes the usual thumping beat for a fresh break for the dancefloor.

Bob Sinclar featuring Steve Edwards
- "World Hold On (Axwell Remix)" Another bubbly-pop-funk-exercise that could easily been continued from George Michael's "Outside" in beat, though not in spirit. Nice soulful vocals from Edwards, in a jazz-reggae kind of delivery. And from France as yet! Something dancy from France that doesn't sound like it was made by a robot (not that there's anything wrong with that, but...)

finally...

Natasha Bedingfield - "The One That Got Away" (Wamdue Pop Rocks Remix) I thought she'd never release this for retail. Finally at least I-Tunes has it, though only in the shorter radio edit. Great song, as is the rest of her album, and the mix doesn't intrude or overpower the melody. Very cool, though my favorite mix, the Valentin Mix, should be released as well.

Comments

HumanAdult said…
sometimes you do stupid stuff like google yourself on the internet to see what comes up. heh heh.

thanks for mentioning my homemade bootleg of christina on your blog :)